Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A New President

We have a new President today. I just watched Barack Obama being sworn in as the 44th President of the United States. It almost seems unreal watching the moment unfold in front of me. It was only roughly 60 years ago that African Americans were fighting for equality in the public school system. Now we have a black man as the highest-ranking government official in this country. And while I don't agree with his politics and I didn't actually vote for him, I still recognize the huge step in equal opportunity this creates. Now when mothers of every race tell their children, "You can be whatever you want to be," they can truly mean it. I really hope this is a positive step this country is taking. We're in a time of crisis right now and we need a strong, capable leader to step up and do the job right. I hope that despite all of our differences of opinion, President Obama can pull us together as one nation under God. I just don't understand all the fanfare. We've elected Presidents forty-three times before in this country and not one of them has received as much press coverage as the one who was just sworn into office. Obama has become this huge celebrity and that scares me a bit. Can this country really afford to have someone with such celebrity status as our leader? Celebrities are supposed to be the plastic, shallow, liberal people who live in Hollywood. They're not supposed to be Senators or Presidents. Obama's face is everywhere. On t-shirts, magazine covers. You can't watch a newscast without seeing his face. It just seems to be too much for someone who is only human. He can't walk on water, he didn't find the cure for cancer. He's fallible. He's capable of making mistakes. He'll probably make a few during his Presidency. I just pray that he's turning to the Lord. That he will put running this country in God's hands and that when he says "God bless America," he truly means it.

No comments:

Post a Comment