Saturday, January 3, 2009

Hospital Stay

It's not like I don't know and understand all the risks that come with diabetes. Believe me, if there was ever a family more attune to diabetes, it would be mine. It's safe to say we have endured our fair share of medical drama this year. Now I'm writing this after a sleepless night at the hospital. It seems weird, all this fuss over a little finger, but I guess it's just a precaution. Diabetics always run the risk of loss of limb. They wanted to make sure they got the infection out and put her on some aggressive antibiotics before they let her go. Nights like last night bring the diabetes reality to the harsh light. My mom and grandmother have both had Type 1 diabetes for my entire life. Diabetes has just always been part of my life. It's as normal as breathing in my house. I know more about diabetes than I ever cared to. Then my little brother got diagnosed just a few months ago. It seems like diabetes has taken up residence in my family. I guess it could be worse. It's not like it's cancer or something like that. Diabetes is serious, but it's controllable. My mom and Mema and Justin are all living fairly normal lives. They only have to watch what they eat and drink a little more carefully than the rest of us. I don't know if whoever is reading this knows a lot about diabetes, but it's a disease that affects every organ in your body. Circulation is always a big problem. Wounds don't heal as fast as they should and blood doesn't circulate to the limbs like it should. That's why my mom's finger issue was a big deal. When the doctor did the surgery last night, the infection had spread into her joint. If it had gotten any worse, the possibility that she would lose her finger was there. It's because of her diabetes they admitted her into the hospital. The antibiotics they're using are a little more aggressive than normal. I'm just glad they are taking such good care of her. As soon as we can get through this, we'll put 2008's medical issues behind us and focus on having a better 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment